Friday, March 11, 2005

Early withdrawal method

I'm sitting here listening to Besame Mucho on the radio and reading a buried news story in the New York Times about the US withdrawing from a certain protocol of the International Court of Justice over the court's decision that the US must review 51 death row cases involving Mexican nationals. And I'm eating a huge piece of chocolate cake. (Stop drooling Haypenny, you fatass, you'll ruin your keyboard and get your pants dirty) And I just had Indian lunch buffet. But I digress...

This story should be called The US Loses, Takes its Ball and Goes Home.

The US is the most powerful nation in the world, so what do we stand to gain by participating in an international body? Ideally, the UN and the world court are supposed to make tiny weak countries and big strong countries equal under international law. This is a threat to our hegemony and it is no shock that we (Bush, Gonzales) aren't interested in the greater good of humanity when there's some Mexican strapped into the electric chair in Texas. Or do they still use firing squad in Texas?

By the way, did you know that Argentina and the U.K. fought war in 1982 over the Falkland Islands in 1982? That seems so, like, totally uncivilized.

I don't like Bright Eyes. Like with Belle and Sebastian, I wish I did, but he is so overwrought. Maybe I'm underwrought.